Fair trade importers of furniture from around the world
- Teak Furniture
- Shabby Chic
- Root Furniture
Sort by Category
- Celtic Mirrors
- Special Offers
Home / Fairtrade
Naturally, protection of the environment is an important issue for all of us....
All our products come from many different suppliers in and around Indonesia and India are sourced by ourselves throughout many weeks of the year. Wherever possible we deal direct with local craftsmen and women who use materials from renewable sources and fashion them with regard for the environment. We have close, personal ties with our suppliers and take great pride in building up good, strong relationships with them.
The craftspeople we deal with are masters in their respective arts and we ensure that all monies go direct to them, their families and their employees and not to middlemen or agents. In some cases profits go towards improving the environment for these people, such as schooling for their children. Like us, most of our suppliers are small family run businesses who employ up to 20 people from their local village.
Work is often outsourced to other local people meaning that when we place orders our money is being shared throughout the community. We have known the majority of our suplliers since we began business over 15 years ago and have forged great friendships with them and their families. When looking for suppliers we are careful to avoid those who employ children or who do not offer safe working conditions to their employees. We like to work closely with each supplier in their workshop developing new product ranges and improving on old ones.
When buying from Sassak it is important to know that you are not buying from a large corporate business. We are a local family run business with strong ethical views on fair trade. We are passionate about Indonesia and its people and also the high quality hand made products that they produce.
fair trade - further reading
at sassak we continuously strive to:
- improve product quality and the working conditions of our suppliers
- to increase the environmental stability of their activities and to invest in the development of their family run businesses and the welfare of their workers/families
- pay a price to our suppliers that covers the cost of sustainable production and living
- pay a premium that our suppliers can invest in development
- make advance payments to our suppliers when they need it
- invest a percentage of our profits back into the local communities of our suppliers for education etc